Most people see Camtasia as a video editing software, and nothing more. But it truly does a lot more than that just that. It can also record your screen, and it can also do basic animations, which can always come in handy.
Camtasia is one of the premier choices in the market and can stand toe-to-toe against other market favorites such as Active Presenter, Adobe Premier Pro, Filmora, and CyberLink’s PowerDiector365. Plus, you’ll regularly be hearing people say “I use Camtasia” more often than not anyways.
But is Camtasia really worth the price? Let’s find out if investing in this tool…will be worth your money. In this Camtasia review, we’ll learn:
- What is Camtasia?
- What are the features of Camtasia?
- Who should buy Camtasia?
- How much does Camtasia cost?
And so, by the end of this review, you should be able to decide if the price is worth it, if the product is what you’re expecting, if you think that you’ll be using it, if you think it’s any good…or if you should look for some other options.
Let’s check it out.
Table Of Content
What is Camtasia?
Alright, let’s start this Camtasia review, with the most obvious question (although you might already know the answer to it).
Camtasia is a video editing software and a recording software. It’s everything you need, to create high quality videos. You use it to delete parts of videos, arrange them in order, change the audio, add some animation, create intros and outros, renderings, effects, and much much more.
It’s basically an all-in-one solution for video editing.
It’s one of the products of the company Techsmith (that also sells other products too). It is primarily marketed as a screen recorder and video editor, but it also comes with pre-installed audio and animation editing capabilities too.
Camtasia is a downloadable software. This means you will need to download and install it on your computer, and you’ll have to keep installing updates and keeping an eye out for bugs and such.
Some Of The Things You Can Do With It:
✅ Tutorials and how-tos
✅ Courses, and other content
✅ Recordings of your meeting (on-on-one)
✅ Powerpoint-based presentations
Camtasia has video templates, by the way, so you can use these templates if you don’t want to create your own intro or outro videos from scratch. For intros and outros though, I would suggest you use something like Viddyoze. I created a complete review on it here, if you want to check it out.
What Are The Features Of Camtasia?
Let us take a look at what Camtasia can actually do. So below, are some of the key features that will give you an idea as to what the software can accomplish, that you have a better understanding of whether or not it’s something worth getting.
- Record screen + Webcam – great for tutorials, online course, and game streaming; you can record what is happening on your screen while you are talking. This is great if you’re doing Youtube or any sort of on-screen content creation.
- Video Templates – You choose from thousands of video templates to help get you started. Many of the templates are free, but there are also premium ones that you have to pay for.
- Add effects – you can choose from pre-made animations to spice up your videos, or you can start from scratch…it’s totally up to you. The effects help you create a more professional looking video, and you don’t need any coding to make them happen—you just drag the effect you want and drop them on your video to make them work. Easy peasy.
- Music and audio – Camtasia has a library of videos and audio files that you can use free of copyright. This is huge and very beneficial, if you’ve ever had issues with copyright videos and audios, and not finding the right ones…this will definitely help you out! You can cut these videos and audios as much as you want, or paste them together for a transitional effect.
- Titles and annotations – Camtasia also allows you to add text and quotes on your videos—anywhere on the screen. This is useful if you are doing something like a speaking engagement and you want to emphasize your points through texts. You can also use this feature to add subtitles to your videos too.
- Zoom, pan, and animate – While the video is playing, you can choose the zoom effect to enlarge a specific portion of the video. This feature is helpful if you want to put emphasis on a specific section of the video, and really helps the whole thing “pop”. Another very useful feature, for sure.
- Quizzes – you can add quizzes in your videos that your audience can interact with. This is great if you are creating a course for children, or if you simply want your videos to be engaging. It’s not a very popular creature (if you recall, Youtube used to have this) but still…Camtasia gives you the option, which is all that matters.
- Transitions – This is a feature that allows you to shift one video to another without cutting it abruptly. It works in the same fashion as what you would see in Powerpoint presentations, although in this case you’re transitioning videos, not slides.
Alrighty so there you have it, those are some of the premium features of Camtasia and of the very different effects and actions it can accomplish.
Some of you might be thinking:
“Sounds really complicated…I wonder if it’s hard to use”.
Well…it turns out that the Camtasia video editor tool has an extremely user-friendly, and easy to navigate interface.
You do not need to be an expert in videography to be able to use it. Even if you have some experience with video editing, you’ll more than likely get the grasp of things, very quickly…but even if you don’t, it’s NOT hard to use at all.
Who Should Buy Camtasia?
With that said however…Camtasia is not for everybody.
It’s easy and it’s simple to use. It’s also the “industry leader” (or one of the most recognized ones at least) when it comes to video editing tools…but that doesn’t mean everyone and their mother should pick up the software, that is usually never the case….
There is a specific group of individuals who should use it. For one, you should not buy this tool if you need just a single video (you can use free softwares for that).
Camtasia is best for people who need to produce a lot of videos and are looking for the best of the best. It’s for people who don’t compromise on quality.
You Should Buy Camtasia If:
- You are a freelancer who creates videos for clients
- You are a businessperson who is aggressive in creating video marketing ads
- You are a YouTuber who needs to publish high-quality video content on a regular basis
- You are a course developer who needs to create a high-quality online course
- You are an influencer who produces video tutorials
- You are an affiliate marketer or dropshipper who reviews products via videos
Remember though, Camtasia IS NOT a full animation software.
It’s a screen recorder and a video editor, with a small library of animated graphics thrown in it. If your main purpose in creating videos is to create a lot of animation, you have to use other video software tools like Powtoon or Viddyyoze.
How Much Does Camtasia Cost?
Camtasia comes at different price points. Each price point gives you a license to use all the features, which means there is no need to upgrade to get all the tool’s features and benefits.
The exception is the maintenance fee that happens every year (around $50) that is completely optional (although recommended).
Alright, so the Camtasia pricing plans, would be as follows.
- Single License – $249 for two computers with a single user (one log-in).
- Education – $169 for two machines with one user
- Business – Costs the same as a single license
- Government and non-profit – $232.97 for two computers with a single sign-on
All the plans except the single license offer volume discount. What this means is that the more licenses you buy, the price also gets lower. This is in case you’re running an agency or are, or will be doing, tons of volumes of vidoes.
Here are the prices for volume purchases for businesses:
- 1 to 4 licenses – $249
- 5 to 9 licenses– $239.04
- 10 to 14 licenses – $231.57
- 15 to 24 licenses – $224.10
- 25 to 49 licenses – $206.67
- 50 to 99 licenses – 199.2
- 100+ licenses – You’ll need to contact the team for this one.
Here is the Camtasia education pricing:
- 1 to 4 licenses – $169
- 5 to 9 licenses – $162.24
- 10 to 14 licenses – $157.17
- 15 to 24 licenses – $152.10
- 25+ licenses – Contact the team
Each license is installable on two computers but is only licensed to one person. The price you pay for only applies to the most recent version of Camtasia. If the company upgrades the product, you need to add $49 to be able to use the new features.
Is Camtasia A One-Time Purchase?
Yes, it is.
You buy it once, and you don’t have to pay any monthly subscriptions. There are also no upgrades or upsells available. It’s all a one time investment.
Each license can only be used on two computers for one user though. If you need more licenses because you have a team of videographers, the alternative is to buy a business license, as we covered in the pricing section.
Is There A Camtasia Free Trial?
Yep. There is.
You can download the Camtasia demo and use it for 14 days. After which you need to buy it.
I think I recall that the videos you create with the free version, will still have the Camtasia watermark, so it’s won’t be very useful (unless you don’t mind the watermark, I personally do).
So in a sense, the trial is there really to get to learn the software and to play around with the tools, you’ll probably not want to be using the videos that much, since the watermark is…very clearly visible. But that’s just me.
Camtasia Review Conclusion
So there you have it everyone, that would be the end of this Camtasia review, I hope that you enjoyed it and that I covered as much as you were expecting me to.
My conclusion? Camtasia is definitely worth the price.
My overall take on the product is that it is great for both beginners and professional who want a reliable piece of software. For a one-time payment of $249, you can build professional videos that would have cost you a fortune if you asked freelancers to do it.
So it’s a really nice software to get access to.
As we mentioned before, it’s not for everyone, but for those who’ll be doing volume..it’s great! It’s one of the most highly recommended video exiting software tools out there.
Camtasia is one of those software programs that really add value to your business—it allows you to create an unlimited number of videos for your marketing activities.
While the price tag seems a bit high…you simply don’t compromise on quality.